A fly is an insect belonging to the order Diptera, which means that it has two wings, and is a type of flying insect.They are known for their capability to fly and have a single pair of wings, unlike other insects that have two pairs of wings. Flies are found worldwide, and they exist in a variety of species.
Flies also have a distinct anatomy, which includes large eyes, a pair of antennae and a proboscis for feeding. They have short lifespans, and these species live on earth only for a few days or weeks.
Flies are essential in the environment, acting as decomposers and pollinators. However, some species of flies are considered pests due to their nuisance value and the potential health risks. There are two kinds of flies people encounter the most: house flies and fruit flies.
Flies get attracted to various food sources, including dead and decaying organic matter, rubbish and sweet substances. They can transmit diseases by contaminating food and surfaces with bacteria and pathogens.
Proper sanitation, waste management and pest control measures are essential to control flies and reduce their presence.
This guide will take you through a step-by-step process to eliminate flies and keep your surroundings flies-free.
Identify the type of Flies.
It is to be noted that not all flies are the same. You must know the type of flies you are dealing with for their effective eradication. You can use help of emergency pest control in London to identify their type by observing their size, colour and behaviour.
Practice Good Sanitation
As you all know, flies are attracted to food, waste and moisture. So, the first step is to maintain a clean environment to eliminate these pesky creatures. Here is how you can do it:
- Ensure you clean all the food waste and crumbs from the kitchen and dining area.
- If you have to store food, make sure you use air-tight containers for the storage.
- Use sealed trash cans with lids and take out trash at regular intervals. Make sure you clean your dustbins at regular intervals to attract flies.
- Flies tend to breed in drains. Clean and disinfect sinks regularly to prevent them.
- If you compost, then use a covered bin. Also, do not put meat, dairy products or wet things because these materials attract flies.
Remove Breeding Sites
If you want to control flies, you must eliminate their breeding sites. This is how you can effectively manage them. Here are some suggestions by companies offering pest control in Ealing to stop their breeding sites:
- Clean up the pet waste and keep the litter boxes clean.
- Potted plants are also breeding places for flies. You can stir or change the top layer of the soil to prevent it.
- Flies breed in standing water. Empty bird baths and kid’s pools at regular intervals to stop them.
- Repair any plumbing leaks, as moisture provides a breeding ground for the flies.
Use Fly Traps
You can also use fly traps to control the population of flies. These traps attract and capture flies and, hence, can be used to control their ever-increasing population.
- You can hang fly paper strips near windows and light sources to catch them.
- Use fly traps or wash bags to attract and trap flies with bait.
- Electric fly zappers can also be used in areas with high fly activity.
Use Natural Repellents
Several natural substances can be used as repellents to keep the flies at bay.
- A spray can be made by dissolving essential oils such as lavender or eucalyptus in water. Mix these oils in water and spray them in fly-prone areas.
- You can also grow fly-repellent plants on your premises, like basil, mint and marigolds. These plants naturally repel flies.
Do It Yourself Fly Traps
You can also make your fly traps using some everyday household items. Here are a few ideas for our audience:
- Add some soap to apple cider vinegar. Put plastic wrap on the bowl and poke a few holes in it. There’s a good chance that flies will get attracted to vinegar and get trapped.
- You can also put an overripe fruit in a jar. Make holes in it and cover it with plastic wrap. A house infested with fruit flies will attract fruit flies to the bowl.
Take the help of commercial pest control London
For severe fly infestation, DIY pest control methods do not prove to be helpful. In such cases, you have to use commercial pest control methods or take the help of a professional company offering pest control in Ealing.
- Insecticides can be used to kill flies if the infestation is uncontrollable.
- You can also use fly baits to attract and kill flies.
- Commercial UV fly zappers are practical for large indoor spaces.
Regular Cleaning and Maintenance
Fly control can be used to prevent future infestations:
- Maintain cleanliness and follow sanitation practices as mentioned above.
- Check for gaps and seal all the entry points.
- Clean and replace traps at regular intervals.
- Use professional pest control services to keep a check on their infestation.
Education and Awareness
Educating your family and household members about fly prevention and control would be best. Encourage all your family members to practice good hygiene because it is necessary to control their future infestation.
As discussed in the entire blog, you have to use preventive measures, sanitation practices and traps to prevent the infestation of flies. In some cases, you can also use commercial products by taking help of emergency pest control in London. By following our guide, we assure you that you can maintain a fly-free environment in your home. Remember that persistence is the key to long-term fly control.
Read Also This Blog